Recent Water Damage Posts
Water Heater Floods a Home
You’re away at work all day and then it happens….your water heater causes water damage to your home. We get calls from these types of damages every day and have a team available around the clock to make sure those problems go away.
The hazards of having a leak or large amount of water discharged from your water heater can sometimes be easily noticed and other times it may be later until you find how much damage has been done.
Things to look for:
-Routinely inspect your water heater, especially older ones as they may be more prone to failing.
- Soft or squishy floors.
-If you notice any water coming up from the seams in your flooring.
-Water in your crawl space.
It doesn’t take a lot of water to create a lot of damage to floors, subfloors and into floor joists if the problem persists long enough. With water getting trapped under you floor it may not be noticeable at first.
SERVPRO utilizes specialty equipment that isn’t in stores. This equipment expedites the removal of water to help get your home back in the dry. Box fans and small dehumidifiers that are available in retail outlets can assist in drying, however they aren’t strong enough to handle water damage. Bottom line is if the water stays longer, the more damage it can cause.
Water damage? Call us immediately for a free estimate, we also work with all insurance providers at 618-435-8200.
April Showers and May Flowers
April showers bring……May flowers…..and flooding. Yep, its that time of year where rains consistently hit our area as we begin to see winter go away and warmer temperatures mix in.
SERVPRO of Jefferson, Franklin and Perry Counties is here to help with a few ways to prep your home or business for heavy rains and the potential for flooding.
- Clear out all gutters and make sure all downspouts are clear and are pushing water away from your home or business.
- Ensure water is flowing away from the structure of your home or business.
- Making sure you have an emergency plan in case of flooding
With over 50 years in the water restoration industry SERVPRO offers best in class service, best in equipment with trained and certified staff.
It is imperative following any type of water event in your home or business to call SERVPRO to help begin the drying process. Water can saturate the structure further aggravating the damage done to the property.
When flooding hits and water damage occurs, call the professionals at SERVPRO at 618-435-8200 immediately.
Water Damage in Sesser, IL
Water damage can strike at any time of the day, that's why the Professionals at SERVPRO of Jefferson, Franklin and Perry Counties are on call 24-7 for your emergencies.
From homes, apartments to commercial structures, no water is too big or too small for SERVPRO to handle. With state of the art water extraction equipment to industrial strength fans and dehumidification equipment we have the equipment to get you dry in no time.
We are also able to take care of some water damages with the use of the newest technology without having to remove flooring or walls through a unique process. Our trained staff has been thoroughly educated on knowing the signs of water damage as well as the best and least invasive ways possible to remove the water.
If you have any questions, or have had water damage, please contact your local office at 618-435-8200
Basement Flooded in Pinckneyville, IL
With summertime weather we typically see a lot of intense heavy rains. Heavy rains with failed sump pumps have been a major concern for home owners in the area. There are a few ways to help keep water out of your basement but it's always good to know the water damage experts SERVPRO of Jefferson, Franklin and Perry Counties are here just in case.
A few things to check before the next big rain include:
- Make sure drainage, gutters and downspouts are cleared of any debris.
- Adding extensions off of downspouts to ensure water is flowing away from your home
- Testing sump pumps at least once a month to make sure they are still working
- Make sure sump pump plumbing is also ejecting water far away from the house
Of course if your water takes on any water from flooding from the inside or out, SERVPRO of Jefferson, Franklin and Perry Counties is here to help. Got water damage? Call 618-435-8200.
Water Damage in Pinckneyville, IL
How can SERVPRO restore a home rather than replace portions of it from flood damage? With the increase in cost of building materials it is becoming more critical to save as much as possible inside of the home. From hardwood flooring down to the subfloor, SERVPRO of Jefferson, Franklin and Perry Counties has you covered.
Its specialized equipment that allows us to safely dry floors before they become warped or twisted. It's also equipment that allows us to vent walls without having to tear out all of the sheetrock in a room. Testing all areas of the floor and walls allows us to determine the saturation level and gives us the opportunity to save those items further saving money on your insurance claim.
SERVPRO of Jefferson, Franklin and Perry Counties does more than just homes or businesses from water damage. Call us today at 618-435-8200 or tell your Insurance agent or adjuster you prefer SERVPRO.
Small Leaks Can Cause Big Headaches
With all of the water sources going into your kitchen, do you ever think about what might happen if any of them leaks? The professionals at SERVPRO of Jefferson, Franklin and Perry Counties are here if you find yourself with water damage.
With water sources at your sink, dishwasher and refrigerator there are several ways for water to affect areas that you might not be able to see. Water can potentially run behind base cabinets or under your refrigerator and can be virtually undetectable for some time.
Did you know that SERVPRO can potentially save solid hardwood floors if water damage is caught quick enough? With a dry mat system that is able to extract water through the floors before water begins to warp and twist flooring. This comes at a tremendous money savings on a claim as we can restore those floors rather than replace all of them.
SERVPRO of Jefferson, Franklin and Perry Counties does more than just repair homes or businesses from water damage. Call us today at 618-435-8200 or tell your Insurance agent or adjuster you prefer SERVPRO.
How To Handle a Flood Damaged Home
With weather crazier than ever and spring right around the corner its time to make a plan on how to handle flood damage.
Winter weather is hanging around for a while longer and hopefully warmer weather is coming soon. With warmer weather means snow melt and potential for those spring showers that an easily flood areas. When water begins coming into your home or business its time to call SERVPRO of Franklin, Jefferson and Perry Counties.
The dangers of flood waters are endless including if it could be electrically charged, carrying harmful waste to even knowing how deep it can actually be. That's why the Professionals at SERVPRO can help make water damage "Like it never even happened," with years of industry experience. With powerful Extraction Units and the best in drying equipment, we're here to get you back to normal.
We work with every insurance provider and offer free estimates. Call us today at 618-435-8200
Don't Delay On Handling Water Damage
Water is one of the most destructive causes to home damage. In many cases, water damage can be going on over a long period of time before you even notice it. Water damage can cause structural issues to your home as well as if left alone can cause severe mold and air quality issues as well.
SERVPRO carries the best equipment to help remove standing water as well as water trapped inside walls. Calling SERVPRO immediately after noticing water damage can also help save hardwood floors from becoming too saturated with water for to long and warping. Having essential equipment that can dry hardwood floors is one of many ways SERVPRO can help save on an Insurance claim and help to get you moved back into your home quicker.
If you have questions regarding water damage to your home or business, give the experts at SERVPRO a call to give a free estimate at 618-435-8200.
Familiarize Yourself with The Signs
SERVPRO of Jefferson, Franklin, & Perry Counties is no stranger to water damage. With a staff that knows lots about both the cause of water damage the correct procedure for clean-up and restoration, we would like to share with you the five most common reasons for water damage in your household.
Top Five Water Damage
- Bursting or leaking pipes such as those found in backed up toilets/drains. Damaged garbage disposal systems are another common location for bursting pipes.
- Issues with the plumbing system can be difficult or even impossible to detect. However, a common issue is hoses and joint pipes not being fully attached.
- Water build-up in susceptible areas such as crawl spaces, attics, and basements.
- Faulty household appliances. Every day appliances such as washing machines, refrigerators, and dishwashers are all susceptible to deterioration, so keep watch on older machines.
- HVACs (Heating, ventilating and air conditioning units) issues- especially concerning your everyday AC.
When Inevitable Water Damage Strikes, Give SERVPRO a Call
No one is perfect and while possessing the knowledge to avoid water damage altogether makes the world of a difference, sometimes things just happen. Luckily, SERVPRO of Jefferson, Franklin, & Perry Counties possesses the resources to help you and your family recover quickly. When water damage finds its way into your home, give SERVPRO a call, sit back, and relax, knowing your home will be restored quickly.
Frozen Pipes Bring Disaster
Although we have experienced an abnormally warm start to fall, the Farmer’s Almanac is warning us to prepare for an extremely brutal winter.
Cold winters are something that we do not experience all to often here in Southern Illinois, but when we do it can bring with it a whole host of issues. One of the issues that is often over looked is frozen and busted pipes.
Three tips to decrease your chance of frozen and busted pipes:
- Ensure you have proper insulation
- Keep a steady drip of water during frigid nights
- Maintain a warm climate within your home
These three steps you will help you to eliminate the risk of having a frozen or busted pipe. Frozen or busted pipes can cause significant damage, so precautionary steps are highly encouraged.
Don't Let it Sit, Call us Fast!
Did you know that timing is everything when it comes to fire, water, and storm damage. The quicker you can get the problem addressed, the less damage there is going to be. period.
Water leaks within a business can seep into flooring, carpets, baseboards and walls while moving throughout the structure, potentially creating mildew and staining walls. This might seem like a slow damage, but it can cause some of the most expensive damage.
Quick action is critical in avoiding costly repairs and expensive downtime. No business wants to have down time. The faster you call SERVPRO of Jefferson, Franklin, & Perry Counties the faster we can get there, and the cheaper it will be for you. Which is best for everyone.
Our SERVPRO of Jefferson, Franklin, & Perry Counties team understands that a damage event can not only disrupt your facility, but it can also interrupt day-to-day business functions- possible closing the business and ultimately affecting your revenues. Our goal is to get in there and take care of your facilities damage as quickly as we can.
We are here to make it "Like it never even happened."
Prevent Your Pipes from Freezing!
FROZEN PIPE PREVENTION
Short- and Long-term solutions for low temperature plumbing problems include:
- Locate and seal cracks and openings in the walls, attic, basement or crawlspace.
- Weather strip and caulk around crawlspace doors and basement windows.
- Make sure your home is properly insulated. Pay special attention to areas where pipes are located.
- Insulate unprotected pipes and don't leave gaps. Pipe sleeves simplify the process. Keep the pieces tight against each other and seal the slits and joints with duct tape.
- Install storm windows over basement windows or replace the old windows with energy-efficient alternatives.
- Find your main water shutoff so you can turn off the water quickly if needed. Locations vary — look in the crawlspace or basement where the water supply enters the house, inside a water meter box directly outside the house or near the water heater.
- Open cabinet doors under sinks to let warm air flow around the supply lines. Move any cleaners or other chemicals out of the reach of children.
- Keep your thermostat at the daytime setting during the night. If you'll be away for several days during subfreezing weather, keep it set above 55° F.
Call the Experts
Have you checked under your kitchen or bathroom sink lately? Most people store a variety of cleaners, sponges, and miscellaneous clutter under the sink. It is out of the way, out of sight, but still handy. However, the team at SERVPRO of Jefferson, Franklin, & Perry Counties knows that this can hide potential problems.Try to stay on top of it and do not let clutter build up under the sink.
Leaks from pipes under the sink are often the source of water damage. The jumble of cleaning solutions, garbage containers, and hair, bath and shower products conceals drops of water and excess amounts of condensation, signs that your under-sink pipes are leaking. Call SERVPRO of Jefferson, Franklin, & Perry Counties today at (618) 435-8200.
Be Prepared this Winter
Why is a Frozen Pipe a Concern?
- When water begins to freeze, it expands. This can cause both plastic and metal pipes to burst, possibly leading to significant water damage to your home or business.
- Since water expands when it freezes, it puts unwanted pressure on pipes.
- As water freezes, the force exerted from the expansion can cause a pipe to burst, regardless of the strength of the material.
- You may not know you have a burst pipe as the water has turned to ice. Once the temperature starts to warm and thawing begins, leaking and flooding can occur.
FROZEN PIPE WATER DAMAGE TREATMENT AND RESTORATION
The key to avoiding costly secondary damage is to handle every water problem as a real threat to your property with proper mitigation. Our SERVPRO of Jefferson, Franklin, & Perry Counties team has the equipment, training and experience to find and dry unseen water before secondary damages occur. We begin removing the standing water from your property with extraction methods, and rapidly dry your structure and contents with dehumidifiers that lower the indoor humidity levels, so your building dries out quickly. When time matters, technology and equipment must be counted on to perform. SERVPRO of Jefferson, Franklin, & Perry Counties professionals will answer your call with rapid action and a full arsenal of drying equipment.
Rain can bring Flooding!
As many counties in the Southern Illinois area are under a flash flood watch, SERVPRO of Jefferson, Franklin, & Perry counties wants you know know what this means and how this can be a problem for some of you.
So what are the terms used for flooding and what exactly do they mean?
- "Flash Flood Warning: Take Action! A Flash Flood Warning is issued when a flash flood is imminent or occurring. If you are in a flood prone area move immediately to high ground. A flash flood is a sudden violent flood that can take from minutes to hours to develop. It is even possible to experience a flash flood in areas not immediately receiving rain.
- Flood Warning: Take Action! A Flood Warning is issued when the hazardous weather event is imminent or already happening. A Flood Warning is issued when flooding is imminent or occurring.
- Flood Watch: Be Prepared:A Flood Watch is issued when conditions are favorable for a specific hazardous weather event to occur. A Flood Watch is issued when conditions are favorable for flooding. It does not mean flooding will occur, but it is possible.
- Flood Advisory: Be Aware:An Flood Advisory is issued when a specific weather event that is forecast to occur may become a nuisance. A Flood Advisory is issued when flooding is not expected to be bad enough to issue a warning. However, it may cause significant inconvenience, and if caution is not exercised, it could lead to situations that may threaten life and/or property."
(definitions were pulled from the National Weather Service and attached is the link : https://www.weather.gov/safety/flood-watch-warning if you would like any further details.)
These terms all have different meanings and you are responsible to take action as needed to keep you and your family safe when heavy rain comes your way.
As always, be aware of the weather coming your way and be prepared for any situation. And remember SERVPRO of Jefferson, Franklin, & Perry counties is always here to restore any damage that may strike your home or business. So protect yourself and we can take care of any other resulting damage.